Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Looking up to Dave Grohl


Dave Grohl was honored in Warren, Ohio this year. It's the town where he was born. Grohl became a famous rock star as the frontman, guitarist, songwriter and lead singer of the rock band Foo Fighters. Yes, he was an outstanding drummer in the legendary band Nirvana before he formed Foo Fighters. But drummers don't always get the recognition they deserve for helping make a band great. Now, Grohl is a member of the rock super-group Them Crooked Vultures and as the drummer he's helping give that band their own distinctive sound.

The above painting of Grohl in Warren, Ohio is a nice large, mural-style artwork that really reminds us how popular he is in rock music these days. I'm so good at stating the obvious, I'll probably tell you this again when I publish my list of top rock songs. That's because there will be songs by those bands on my list. Yes, it is because they are great! What else? I bought Foo Fighters Greatest Hits CD before Christmas as a gift to myself. I'm planning on having a little party (because I haven't started listening to it yet)... the party will be... actually just me and the CD, maybe way too much coffee or soda pop.

I'm also going to buy the new CD by Them Crooked Vultures -- for a second time -- because instead of opening it when I bought it the first time, I gave it as a Christmas present. Today, I'm gong to the store to buy the CD. Maybe I'll pick up food some place, too, because I want to feel good when I'm listening to the CDs.

Okay, it's almost 2010. Happy New Year!