Monday, November 19, 2007

"Milky Way" Discovered at Dutch Bros. Coffee Stand in Portland, Oregon


The nice Baristas at a Dutch Bros.
coffee stand in Portland, Oregon
posed for this digital photo.

Article and photo by Scott McLean

After finishing off an order of CrissCut Fries at Carl's Jr, and still sipping on a soda, on an October evening in Portland, Oregon, I realized a latte would taste great just then. But I wasn't familiar with this part of Portland.

Stores were closing for the night, and I was thinking I might have to wait until the next day to get my latte. Almost no time had passed when I noticed a light on at a small building. It was a Dutch Bros. Coffee stand. And it was open! I was happy.

The baristas were friendly and told me about the coffee chain, based in Oregon, and described some of the espresso drinks. They recommended a "Milky Way" hot coffee drink, which they said they give to all new customers. I said two shots of espresso would be enough as it was getting late and I had to drive to Seattle the next day.

It was delicious! It tastes a lot like a candy bar, if it were in the liquid form, hot, though not too hot, delicious and with a nice jolt of caffeine. Unfortunately, I don't live near the Milky Way, the one made by Dutch Bros. baristas.

So, knowing that I wouldn’t be able to have it for a while, I went there again the next morning before heading to Seattle… And I drank it and had the "Almond Joy" two different times after returning to Portland. I also stopped at a Dutch Bros. stand during the long road trip home.

I heard that Dutch Bros. is in Idaho too, so I’ll check it out when I have time.