Sunday, July 20, 2014

Number 1: Katy Perry "Dark Horse" ft. Juicy J

Katy Perry has the No. 1 song on my list of 10 Best Rock Songs of the first half of 2014.

To many this will be thought of as a song from another genre, and that's true in a sense, I also feel it's a hip-hop pop rock song. "Dark Horse" was released in 2013 but I feel it sort of built momentum and popularity as it was played more and more often by FM radio stations in the first half of 2014. 

A key point here is that the radio made a big difference this time. Hearing songs while driving around, waiting to get into a fast food drive-thru or while eating the fast food, is something I enjoy. I heard the song "Dark Horse" frequently and just about everywhere I went this year. Note: "Dark Horse" was already on my lists 25 Best Pop Songs of 2013 and 25 Best Rock Songs of 2013.