Saturday, March 27, 2010

You're Right!

The Internet seems to be full of jerks who just want to criticize our tastes in music. They suck! Hey, I don't give advice and this isn't an advice column. But let me just add, if you are a young adult or teenager, though I doubt many teens read my blog, you are right about the bands, albums, and songs you think are great! Keep loving or liking those artists and their music.

At the same time, those are only songs, and just like when you watch a movie or TV show, don't do what they did or say what they said because it's intended for entertainment purposes and the songs and movies are NOT about your life. The characters in movies or subjects of songs may be based on reality or they could be pure fantasy, or something in between.

Be careful and don't identify with something that could harm you. I'm saying songs can be appreciated in an objective way, just like watching a movie, even though you may not have done what the characters are doing-- and in many cases you should not do what they are doing-- or what the singer is singing about in the song. For example, the songs on my list of 25 Best Songs of the '00s do not necessarily reflect my thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings, my lifestyle or anything about me. Obviously, I can relate to some lyrics, but most lyrics are like going to a movie and listening to characters talking, being entertained but not really being able to relate to those characters or understand why they are that way.

I enjoy entertainment, especially good movies and music. I remember the music I liked when I was a teenager and for the most part I was right about the songs I felt were excellent. It's important to keep believing in yourself and don't listen to rude people online, because I know you are right about your taste in music!