Wednesday, November 15, 2023

2 #1 Songs

"Turn Me On" and "All The Stars" will be #1 on the list. Weeks before I published the list, here, it looked like the David Guetta song would be the best song of the decade 2010 to 2020. The list is what I am calling Pop and Mainstream, and songs that should be included. It's not a Pop list and it's not my Rock list for the decade.

Justin Bieber got in with "Yummy" at #10 even though it was released as a single near the beginning of January 2020. 

Kendrick Lamar's song was in my top 10 rough draft weeks before I finished the list and I hadn't decided which songs were going for Best Song. Then it appeared that Nicki Minaj was the difference maker and "Turn Me On" would be #1. 

There's always the song which is next best and I hadn't made that decision. "Give Me Everything" and "Domino" were very close but SZA is a great singer. Best singer of the decade? I haven't made that decision yet, but for one song I would have to say it's the best singing. Her voice sounded so amazing and beautiful. Kendrick Lamar perfectly set up SZA to get the spotlight on her solo performances. 

It was too close for me to decide with a week to go. But for a brief moment it looked like it wouldn't be SZA versus Nicki Minaj, and in those two songs, they are absolutely equal. For that moment which lasted a few days actually, it was Nicki Minaj versus someone else, well actually it was Nicki Minaj vs. Nicki Minaj. Was the song "Automatic", which wasn't in the top two songs for a year, really going to be #1? It felt right. But I continued to compare the songs and what I decided was "Automatic" couldn't cleanly get past "S&M" by Rihanna. For weeks, I thought those two songs would be somewhere around Number 10. It was a difficult decision to make.